1. Cats or Dogs?
Dogs. I’m a dog dad. Proud owner of boxer/german shepherd genuine mut named Gigi. She’s a rescue pup, the best kind of pup.
2. What’s the most marvelous thing you have ever seen with your own eyes?
Yosemite Valley from Half Dome’s summit.
3. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
With every single project. A little bit of constructive madness can go a long way. My senior project in college, for example, I’ll never know how I got it done. I feel like I blacked out from the sheer tenacity.
4. How would you describe yourself in 5 words?
Explorer, solutionist, subtle, motivated, patient.
5. Why does pizza come in a square box?
I’m not sure if my life will ever be the same thanks to this question. Maybe they should implement four smaller pizzas to fill the spaces in the corners? Maybe donuts? They should use donuts. I didn’t really answer the question because I don’t think I can.
6. What is your biggest design inspiration?
Things that occur in nature.
7. How does it feel to be photographed?
I’m definitely not important enough for high-res imagery.
8. What is the one thing you need to do next?
Hike the Pacific Crest Trail.
9. What are you thankful for, this moment?
I’m thankful for the fact that I have amazing friends and family in two different cities. I’m thankful for being given a chance. I’m thankful for the support I’ve been given along the way.
10. What in your life exhilarates you? Do you do enough of it?
Driving cross-country. I’ve only done it once, but seeing different landscapes and driving through mountain passes really does it for me. It’s about time I do it again. Powerlifting is another thing that really excites me. Being terrified of a certain amount of weight on the bar, and being able to lift it is a rewarding experience. I compete two or three times a year, so I guess I’m getting enough of it!
11. What’s your single greatest moment of personal failure? Looking back on it now, did it make you weaker or stronger? What did you learn?
Oh man, wrecking my first car trying to show off for my friends. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so stupid. If anything, it made me much more careful, not just with driving, but with every day decisions. I think wrecking that beautiful car, that I paid for myself, knocked a lot of sense into me. I learned that I’m not invincible, and I learned not to destroy things that I worked hard for. I would say that it made me stronger.
12. Joy is found with simple awareness. What does your joy look like today?
I’m filling out this interview, on a day off, while watching family guy. Not bad.
13. What is the theme song to your day to day life?
Tough, tough question. If it’s on the basis of a song I listen to every single day, it’s Dramamine by Modest Mouse. If it’s based on the basis that the lyrics relate to me, it’s Broke by Modest Mouse. I really like Modest Mouse.
14. What is the world ready to discover, accept or embrace now?
We don’t deserve dogs.
15. Do you think sand is called sand because it’s between sea and land?
16. When was the last time you lost track of time?
Hiking through the Yosemite wilderness with my sister, Casey.
17. If you woke up tomorrow as an animal, what would you be?
A Peregrine Falcon (I’ve thought of this before).
18. If you were guaranteed the correct answer to one question, what would you ask?
How does a busdriver close the doors after he/she gets off the bus?
19. Where is your happy place?
Laying down in a sleeping bag, in a tent, after a long day of hiking.
20. What made you choose Top Hat?
Top Hat is an award-winning branding agency with young, kind, and bright talent. They put the clients first, and focus on creating beautiful design, while maintaining a positive, fun, and professional attitude. I can’t think of a better place to start my professional career, and I can’t thank the Top Hat team enough for giving me the opportunity to prove what I can do as a designer.