1. Cats or dogs?
This is almost like asking someone their political party.
Currently, I’d rather have a cat. Cats are a lot less maintenance, which is good because I’m hardly at home. As I like to say, all you need is a litter box, some food and you’re good!
2. What’s the most marvelous thing you have ever seen with your own eyes?
3. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
By definition, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. I see this a lot in our industry. People trying the same things that haven’t been working for them and expecting them to suddenly work at any moment. Or working with the same partners, who have been letting them down, to expect those relationships to suddenly be fruitful.
The only thing insanity should tell you is that you need some creativity to solve the problem.
4. How would you describe yourself in 5 words?
Dangerous when influenced by caffeine.
5. Why does pizza come in a square box?
I’m no expert on the subject, but I imagine at the time pizza boxes came to be it was much less costly to produce a square box. Also, for those pizza dudes folding those things, probably a lot easier to fold the square box over a circle.
Nowadays, I’m sure they may be able to more easily make circle boxes that are easy to fold. But the square box has been here for so long that people don’t feel like changing it at this point.
6. What is your biggest design inspiration?
These three badasses:
7. How does it feel to be photographed?
Depends on who’s taking the photograph. If it’s Joe, or you Pam, pretty damn good because I know you guys will do me justice.
Others, I worry. People have a habit of catching me with my eyes closed. I must blink a lot.
8. What is the one thing you need to do next?
Probably grab a beer.
9. What are you thankful for, this moment?
This delicious cup of Convive coffee (their house blend Folksy in case you’re curious).
10. What in your life exhilarates you? Do you do enough of it?
There’s nothing that quite obsesses me like a challenge. When I bite into one, I can’t let go until it’s resolved.
Business is a revolving door of challenges, so I’m always occupied.
11. What’s your single greatest moment of personal failure? Looking back on it now, did it make you weaker or stronger? What did you learn?
I haven’t had a Reichenbach Fall, but I’ve experienced countless micro-failures. Like training a muscle, those micro-tears have made me better and better over the years (I think).
12. Joy is found with simple awareness. What does your joy look like today?
That first cup of coffee for the day.
I always seem to be sharing it with someone who brings me joy — whether in the office, at home or out and about.
13. What is the theme song to your day to day life?
“Bulls on a Parade,” by Rage Against the Machine
14. What is the world ready to discover, accept or embrace now?
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as president.
15. Do you think sand is called sand because it’s between sea and land?
16. When was the last time you lost track of time?
17. If you woke up tomorrow as an animal, what would you be?
A crotchety Grizzly Bear.
18. If you were guaranteed the correct answer to one question, what would you ask?
Does Bigfoot exist?
19. Where is your happy place?
Sipping ice-cold beers off the canning line at a brewery.
20. What made you choose Top Hat?
I didn’t choose Top Hat — it chose me.